Saturday, June 03, 2006

Dysfunction Junction

Attending high school at the intersection of gang violence and moral~bankruptcy~disguised~as~progressive~ arts taught me to be wary toward any public education system, with particular emphasis on my own home state.

The size of my high school graduating class quite nearly eclipses the population of the current town we live in. During my tenure, there were two drive-by shootings, a random dead body found on the football field on campus, more injuries caused by gang fights than any sporting or other endeavor, and you had better have your backpack bungee corded around you or risk it being yanked from your shoulders as you walked through the halls. Being the inner city bastion of excellence that it was (yes, that was sarcasm), the prevailing plan for turning this school around was to integrate it with a bunch of G.A.T.E. students from Arts Intensives all over town. Which they did, two years prior to my arrival on campus as an appropriately bewildered but undaunted fourteen year old.


So, inner city gang infested jungle, meet ballerinas, opera singers, playwrights, and painters. It was dysfunction junction from the start. Certainly an odd marriage and destined for clashes. Which there were, in spades. My education was achieved at the expense of my innocence, my purpose, my hope. The end result was systematic, educationally mediocre waste of brilliant potential.

I was blessed with a bevvy of fascinating friends, challenging and rewarding relationships and experiences, and did learn a thing or two between ages 14 and 18. But given the environment, those were consolation prizes. I wonder often what I woulc have been ~ could have been ~ if the cultivation was more than it was. If I were encouraged to be ~ taught to be ~ allowed to be ~ more than I am.


Jumping ahead in our story...

My first born child, LaLa, turned five last month. By ye olde USA standards these days, this means that kindergarten is on tap, come autumn. This also means that I have spent the last 12 months visiting every school within 15 miles of our home, and researching private, charter, and homeschooling options. Essentially, I have been looking for a solution to scholastic mediocracy while seeking an ointment to heal my heart. I am not ready. This is, I'm sure, not an unusual pronouncement from any first-time Mommy whose child is about to enter kindergarten. Are any of us are truly ready for the incremental movements of our children towards independence and thus, away from our protective embrace? But marry this apprehension with a phenomenally lackluster personal experience with public education, fear of the unknown and potential social bereftness of home schooling, and inability to pony up the cash to finance a private education... and you begin to see the corner I am feeling painted into.

It is a lonely and miserable corner, to be sure. Right around the bend from Dysfunction Junction, as a matter of fact. I am scared to make a mistake that sacrifices BEST for GOOD ENOUGH. I am scared for my child. I am scared of being scared.

When did we collectively decide that five year old children are best taught away from their homes 6-7 hours per day, five days per week, in the company of 20 other five-year olds and only one adult present to teach them? Who came up with that plan? And, when did we decide that educating our children is best achieved in a non-organic classroom setting, as opposed to natural settings? When did we decide that it is best to banish individual morals and ethics from a classroom, and replace with the apparently more palatable sandblasted version, which appeases yet confuses? When did we make it par for the course to teach children in classes by age, so that they are learning the same lessons with the same methods at the same pace based on the fact that they were all born about the same time? When did we decide that what we need is MORE time in the classrooms (more school programs, mandatory preschool ~ a lovely little initiative on the ballot we Californians are voting for this week), instead of more time spent learning about the world around us by actually immersing our children in the world around us under our watchful, caring instruction?

Nearly every parent I have spoken to expresses similar reservations about the public (and even private) school options here. It is not ideal. It is OK. But it is not excellent. In fact, it is detrimental in some major components and takes FAR too much time to achieve FAR too little actual education. And that's to say nothing of the conflict with morality, family values, faith, or religion experienced by some students while trying to merge what they learn in school with what they learn at home or ar church.

Nearly every parent has reservations about the garden variety public school system here. So why do we just keep sending our kids? Yes, we fret, we ruminate, we ponder, we hesitate, we anguish. But we keep sending our kids.

I realize that some parents don't. The unyeilding minority of us. Those who've chosen to approach their childrens' education differently. They homeschool, unschool, private school, charter school... as I am learning, there are ample satisfying options out there. But they involve a leap of faith. Not because these alternative educational structures don't make sense, don't hit higher on the mark towards educational excellence, don't give more freedom in curricula and hands-on learning to the individual student, and achieve greater results in less time. But because they are different, unusual, untried (by me), overtly unpopular, not the norm, or a number of other reasons. But not because they are inherently better at fostering teaching and facilitating learning than traditional public school.

I am in awe of the parents who come to similar conclusions about the public education system as I have drawn and who have actually had the courage to DO SOMETHING about it. May I have the courage and the committment to be among you, whatever my convictions may lead us to eventually choose for our little girl. May I not follow the madding crowd for whatever get-off-the-hook weasel reasoning I coerce myself into believing, or be caught up in the periphery and the peer pressure around me. May I do what is right for my children, no matter what fears I face that threaten my resolve. No matter what, period.

May I rebel against dysfunction junction and instead pursue the avenue of excellence for my beloved LaLa. And for my little man, Dash, as he is coming up not far behind her. May I teach my children by example and always pursue what is best vs. what is traditionally accepted.

Please pray for us.

16 Comments:

Blogger Dee Paolina said...

Homeschool. No ifs, ands, or buts. The socialization myth is simply that-- a myth. We've been at it for 5 years and my kids are healthy, happy, and have lots of friends (both homeschooled and not). Every homeschooling family I know personally would likely have a similar story.

You don't know me and, so, have no reason to trust me. But trust me anyway. You'll kick yourself for the next 50 years if you give up your little girl to the system.

I run a homeschooling blog (http://cobranchi.com), and we have a bit of a community there. Feel free to drop in or to pose any questions that you might have. My email address is available on my site.

Good luck.

Daryl Cobranchi

3:10 PM  
Blogger ~Kristina~ said...

(((Hugs)))

I know this has been hard on you.

I got lucky enought to get into a great school system with wonderful teachers that I adore.

Prince C just finished up his Kindergarten year,supplimented with my extra homeschooling. I am excited for Prince r to follow in the same path.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Just us said...

You know where my heart lies. ((hugs))

Marcia

5:13 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

I am also with Daryl. We have homeschooled for 13 years and have never once regretted our decision. Our 2 oldest have "graduated"--one is pursuing a nursing degree, one is into welding, with a focus on art.

We had the same reservations as you--why must our kids be turned over to strangers at 5 years old?

And ya know...you actually have another year to keep her home and think about what you want to do. Compulsory attendance age is 6 before Dec 2 in your state. My advice would be to keep her home another year whether you decide to homeschool or not. I think you'll find that it will become easier and easier to see that she'll be faring better than her peers who will go on to public school. I challenge you to try it. You won't believe the self-confidence you'll acquire just after one year of making a decision to not turn your dear one over to a system that can't possibly care for her like you do :-)

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel. When our only child, my daughter was facing kindergarten, we decided to keep her home another year. I wasn't ready to give her up to the system. Long story short -- come time for first grade...when a a trusted friend, a 4th grade public school teacher, told us to expect beating, bullying, etc. (DD's smaller than her peers) public school was no longer an option. I always wanted to homeschool, now my husband was on board.
You can do it! and you'll find lots of support on the Internet and you can look for local support in your region. The "S" myth is so bogus, that the new anti-homeschool argument is that you're not qualified to teach. Don't believe it! Who knows your child better than you?

5:51 PM  
Blogger Stephanie not in TX said...

Five is too young.

Take the next year, enjoy your child, and think about all your options. You have the time. How many successful people, how many of those who have truly achieved excellence, were without the benefits of kindergarten? How much of what we do is necessary, and truly puts our children on a path toward excellence, and how much is social construction?

I'm biased. I had the same feelings as you when my oldest neared kindergarten age. Next year he will be a fifth grader in our homeschool - he's never been to public school. Neither will his brothers. They are getting an excellent education, and living a marvelous life. Like Daryl, our kids are healthy, happy, and have both homeschooled and ps friends.

Good luck with your decision.

8:02 PM  
Blogger lachen said...

God bless you ALL for voicing your strong opinions, based in fact, experience, and strong
convictions. And for challenging what we have come to accept as the "norm". I am rebelling against the public and private traditional schooling program because I fail to see how it is the BEST option for any child, much less my own. My little beloved daughter ("LaLa" on this blog) is almost painfully sensitive, startlingly intelligent (she decided she wanted to learn multiplication tables about 2 months ago, and we are up to our 5's now - she is amazing to behold), VERY high energy, uber-high maintenance child. She learns best in tactile, organic settings. She needs to be stimulated with creativity and positive reinforcement at all times in order to prevent tearful outbursts at not being "good enough", not being able to "do things right". Such a deeply tender soul.

I appreciate each you for allowing me glimpses into your lives and thoughts and opinions. I am going to, in upcoming days, commit to prayer and research and steeping myself in an endless array of resources about homeschooling. There seem to be SO MANY people embracing this odyssey of homeschooling - but so few who live in proximity to me or who are in my everyday life, so I am largely dependent upon my internet friends and community to bridge the gap and encourage me. I feel a bit like a pioneer!

I cannot adequately express how deeply I appreciate your moral and educational support here. My heart is uplifted entirely, and refocused on what is right for MY child and OUR family, not merging with the road more traveled.

In humbled gratitude...

9:56 PM  
Blogger Hanley Family said...

Just another voice to say, "Give it a try." As others pointed out, kindergarten isn't compulsory. I used the kindergarten year to accustom myself to the idea of homeschooling, get my feet wet, learn about what was out there and just get used to the idea that, as a former public school teacher, I would not be sending my daughter off to public school. But you do need a bit more of a commitment than, "see how things go." I do believe there are benefits to even a small amount of homeschooling...the kids are that much older and more mature and more capable of handling the problems that are to come...but the first year is the toughest. Partially because you are new, and a lot because you think you have to have everything perfect or you are going to fail your child forever. It is amazing how much more my daughter learned when I let go of thinking we had to do everything every day and structure our day like a classroom.

Bright energetic kids get that drilled out of them in the PS. As my college English teacher said, it is their job to "stamp out creativity wherever it rears its ugly head."

10:56 PM  
Blogger The Opinionated Homeschooler said...

Just because you mentioned the "social bereftness" of homeschooling ... Everyone takes the "s"-word to refer to your children's socialization, but there's your own to think about. I worried about this, and was delighted to discover that homeschooling brought me together with wonderful, thoughtful women (and some men) with whom I had more in common than anyone I had ever worked with or gone to school with. I wouldn't trade my new community for anything.

Also, you have more than just one year to decide. You can keep your child with you until you choose the "right" school (if you ever do). Remember, you can always put her in school at some point; you're not deciding right now whether to homeschool *always*, just whether you want to put your child in school *now*.

5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely give homeschooling a try. It is SO rewarding and liberating and incredibly EFFICIENT. I taught my soon to be 5 yr old to read in 10 minutes a day without a curriculum, or workbooks other than a piece of paper and interesting books. She is reading at a 3rd grade level now and hasn't even hit Kindergarten. That leaves lots of time for the fun stuff, the nature walks, the pond studies,the messy crafts, any unit study you can think of-lots of field trips and hands on learning.
And don't think homeschooling is just for counterculture rebels anymore. Most of the families in our local group are just your average suburban soccer moms, indistinguishable from anyone you might meet on the street, but all sharing a deep desire to have their children love learning and have a childhood relatively free of crushing peer pressure and conformity issues.
You will be surprised how many people you can find to be a support group once you get in there and start doing it. We have so many opportunities for 'socialization' that I am having to severely limit them to make sure we spend some time at home. It does take a bit of a leap of faith, but once you start seeing the results, you will know its worth it. It is also easier to start doing it from the start rather than pulling your kid out later and having to prove to them that their teacher and their peers are not the only ones who know anything. ---

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are exactly where I was when we started our decision making process four years ago. We tried homeschooling Kindergarten. When the other kids went to their first day of kindy, we just kept on keepin' on. While we were enjoying our family and learning things that year, I did a lot of research. I spent a lot of time just hanging with my kids and trying out all sorts of things to see what would work. And mostly, we spent that year trying to decide what education and success meant to us. After the year was over, we were so happy with how much our oldest had learned, we were so far away from school think and we were already so far down our own path, there was no way we were going to send our kids to school.

In other words, we didn't have to make the decision to homeschool. It just happened, cuz when we spent a year open to the idea, it took us over and it was obviously the right choice.

Did we fret? Did we worry? Did we go around and around about the issues? Yep, you betcha. That's part of the process. It's part of a process that every parent should go through whether their kids are homeschooled or public schooled. It's a process that never ends.

The worst that could happen if you homeschool kindy is that you'll come to the conclusion that it's not for you. But from what you've written here, I'm guessing that won't be the case :)

Good luck!
Tammy Takahashi

1:07 PM  
Blogger TheObiBlog said...

I've got a 5 yr old, and we live in an area with fine schools, good test scores, and a low crime rate. We're giving homeschooling a try, because we figure we can do better.

Give it a try. If it doesn't work, you can always try something else.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Angel said...

Wow, hot topic!

I doubt you know this about me, Lachen, but I was homeschooled from Kindergarten all the way through 12th grade. That was back in the mid-80s you know, when nobody had ever heard of it. My parents were in a similar situation as yours--I was a precocious firstborn with WAY too much energy and WAY too short of an attention span. I started reading when I was four. By the time all my little friends went to Kindergarten I could already handle 1st and 2nd grade books. Fast forward 22 years and I'm graduated from law school (with honors) and practicing law in the state with the hardest bar exam in the country.

I'm not saying you should homeschool. It is by no means a conviction of mine and Dan and I often wonder to each other what we will do when (if) God allows us to have a school-age child. I think God leads everyone differently. But I'm here to say that you need have no fear of your sweet little girl ending up as a social reject if you do homeschool her. Sounds like her personality wouldn't allow for that anyway. ;)

Lala is blessed to have her mom (and dad!) thinking and praying so fervently about how to direct her education. All the best to you as you continue to seek God's will for you in this matter.

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Er, having a name like 'dan & angel' is not a good argument. :)

Here is a better one:

14,000 educators meeting in San Francisco voted that the five major areas of educational inquiry are:

1) Imperialism
2) Ghetto Culture
3) Hegemonic Oppression
4) Right Thinking Multi-Culturalism
5) Cyber Jargon

Best argument for home schooling I ever saw.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

{{HUGS}} It's so hard sending our little ones off. TOTALLY know how you are feeling!

5:54 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

Even without kids of my own, my opinion is that homeschooling is the way to go. You're going to do fine, Lachen-Maybe you will someday open a school of your own!

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home