Monday, May 22, 2006

Rock The Vote

Ok, so Copper has issues.

Specifically, my beloved husband is beginning to openly rebel against the notion that our beautiful son is known on this blog as "Joyboy".

Now, I hope all of you do realize that "Copper" is not my husband's real name. He does HAVE a real name and it is delightful. But because he is a veteran police Sergeant and has been around the block in neighborhoods that I have not, his understanding of the perils of internet and convictions against protecting our real names on public domain sites are written in violet in our home. My obedience of his direction in this area is not half-hearted. Copper has worked cases involving innocent children and adults who have been enormously harmed by the dark side of the internet, and those stories haunt me. This powerful tool we have to connect our lives, share information, and create a cyber community is not without it's very real risks. My seeking to limit that risk explains the lack of personal photos on this blog, and the fact that we are known here by nickname only.

My daughter is not really named "LaLa". That name is potentially only appropriate for a Boobah and flamboyant South American singers. The monniker "Copper" is obviously related to the fact that my sweet husband is a police officer - a COP. "Joyboy" is my son's nickname here because he is such a sheer and whole source of joy to me.

It is with this last nickname ~ Joyboy ~ that Copper has recently shared his great displeasure.

He has issues.

Copper says it is rather effeminate. Inappropriate, he tells me. Not a strong name, surely. Wimpy and infantile. Rather unbefitting the pure dynamo, pure BOY child of ours. Just plain bad, he said.

And there were accompanying faces that were liberally offered as punctuation to this discussion. Let us not forget those. Copper excels at making his point known through laughter, which usually involves the contortion of some part of his body, chuckling, and gleefully raised eyebrows. I am convinced that he shares some hidden genetic relation to Jim Carrey. He is an adorable, wry, rabble rouser whose personality is eerily similar to that that Jim Halpert guy on the show, the "Office". You know the one. That brilliant, longsuffering guy with the heart of gold but the sheer smart aleck wit, who delights in annoying the heck out of Schrute.

That guy. I am married to that guy. And it is a fantastic journey.

Ok, so I admit: calling a child "Joyboy" does probably wear out its welcome at about the same time diapers begin waning. And since we are at that moment in time and I do not wish to scar my husband or child for life, I am hereby endeavoring to re-nick-name my boy child.

So, I would like to enlist you all in a quest to RENAME JOYBOY.

I am now soliciting all suggestions for establishing a new nickname for my sweet little two~year~old snuggly Tyrannosaurus son. Please openly submit your opinions in the comments section, and I will choose the winner on Friday, May 26. So there better actually BE some suggestions in the comment section to choose from or I will be tempted to feel let-down, crestfallen, and abandoned by my blogger frinds. Well, maybe not all of that, but pretty
please help me to choosing a new deliberately-NON-feminine, boyish nickname for my baby boy...

LET'S RE-NAME JOYBOY!

10 Comments:

Blogger MommaRia said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:28 AM  
Blogger Mo said...

I always liked the nickname "Booger".

6:34 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

I still like Joyboy. But if Copper is offended, I'll try to come up with something else for you. I'm not good at this stuff though, but I'll try.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

Hi Lachen the online code names make incredible sense, and I commend you for being wise in this way. I don't advertise where I live, what I do for a living-I'm just Doug at FDW online-just smart surfing.
Joyboy, actually Mr. Joyboy is the name of a character in "The Loved One" by Evelyn Waugh. If you had seen the movie by that name probably you would have gone with "Happyboy" or "Energiser Kid" from the start.
My parents use to call me "Tax deduction" (joke).

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Samuel Clemens took the name Mark Twain from the depth soundings taken aboard his beloved Mississippi River steamboats. In other words, pick something that suits his character, the things he loves, the activities he can't do without. As a boy I loved horses and riding so my dad called me 'cowboy'. Some years ago I had a friend who nicknamed his third son 'hat trick'. Why? Rand could tell you since he's a hockey fan. When a hockey player scores three goals in a game he is said to have gotten a 'hat trick'.

Stick with the obvious, but Copper is right; watch out for double meanings.

5:00 PM  
Blogger MommaRia said...

well, I'm partial to monkey boy, but that is my little man's name.

What about little man? no wait, Copper can find objectionable tones in that too if he tries hard enough.

What are some of the nicknames you have given him around the house? That is where monkey boy came from...because my Joyboy loves to climb me like a monkey at all times.

We also have snuggle bunny, chou chou, woobie, butters (because the pants fall off like the butt is covered in butter) and the old standby, honey. There is sweet baby, and the most used ever....BOY! (the one he prefers actually, see note in my blog referring to what I am now allowed to call him).

whatever you choose will be perfect...and copper, get over it dude. This is MOM's blog and MOM'S always have special names for their little boogers. You know I say that in love!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Angel said...

It sounds like your little guy is full of bounding energy. . . what about "Dash" like the kid on The Incredibles? (I love that movie. *grin*)

10:58 AM  
Blogger Karmon said...

How about "Copper Jr"

2:13 PM  
Blogger ~Kristina~ said...

I dont think I am any help. My kids nicknames at home are Pumpkin Pie, Pumpkin Nose, and Candyman.

Everything i can think of to call him copper would have a problem with lol

5:17 AM  
Blogger Hero said...

MiniHe.

And, just caught your comment over at Preacherman's about Denis Leary shows. If one of them was Rescue Me, the new season starts 5/30 (next Tuesday) at 10 on FX. I CANNOT wait.

4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home