Saturday, May 27, 2006

50 Bones

$50.00 is the amount I spent to fill up the gas tank of my car today, which coasted into the gas station on fumes. I have been doing that more and more lately ~ it seems to be my unconscious manner of rebelling against the high gas prices by trying to eeek out every last mile I can before refueling.

This is not a good plan, mind you. It only really serves to accomplish an accelerated anxiety level for me as my low-gas warning light tends to suddenly illuminate when I am nowhere near a gas station.

But FIFTY dollars? I am not driving a Sherman Tank, people.

Fifty dollars also happens to be the downpayment amount I rendered for my first car (a 1982 Honda Accord, because that is consequential information) back in 1990. You know, back when gas was a measly $.89 a gallon.


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cars run better when the tank is half full or better.

Never letting it drop 1/2 tank will yield about 1/2 to 1 mile per gallon better mileage. This is particularly true for larger vehicles, SUV's, pickups, etc..

When the level in the tank drops below 1/2 tank it will slosh about on turns resulting in poor handling, i.e., handling is better with a full tank.

Using a higher octane with a can of top oil per fillup will yield similar results.

Driving the speed limit in town will often offer better gas mileage, that is if the lights in your town are synchronized.

Of course, if governments would kill gasoline taxes it would be slightly over two bucks a gallon (before 1973 it was 30 to 35 cents).

2:55 AM  
Blogger Special K said...

At least it was only $50. I put $20 in my car and got a quarter of a tank. My yellow gas light was on too and I was driving on fumes...$20 for a quarter of a tank...that means it will cost me $80 to fill my tank....WOW!!!

6:40 AM  
Blogger ~Kristina~ said...

I remeber .89 a gallon. god I widh for those days again

5:17 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Mine is about $50 too. I was watching an episode of the Brady Bunch with my Spirit (formerly known as Mini-Me) and on a road trip it cost them $6.50 for a full tank, sodas and snacks. Those were the days!

1:05 PM  
Blogger ~ cyndyann ~ said...

Oh yeah, I can relate to that pain in the pocket! It cost me $67 to fill my van and $29 to fill our gas can the other day so we could mow the lawns! YIKES It is getting expensive out there ... let's hope this lunacracy stops soon!
HUGS

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home