Wednesday, February 08, 2006

it matters where the anchor is dropped

Driving on a country road in Makawao, Maui, I noticed that an old building that had long stirred me each time I past it - it was rich with ancient Hawaiian history - was gone.

It was not a particularly beautiful building, but rather plain, tiny green shackleboard house with ordinary white paned windows and a small, leaning front porch. I loved it. This house happily represented, for me, the essence of traditional Hawaiian upcountry plantation living. I always looked for it behind the rows of bamboo when rounding the corner that leads down towards Haiku. But now it is gone. I miss it, and my heart aches for the loss, small as it is in the grander scheme of the wide, wide world.

Reflecting on the expiration of this sweet Hawaiian country home illustrates for me just how transitory life is. Just how disposable the trappings of the world can be. Nothing can be taken for granted. Nothing is permanent. Nothing that is today, is guaranteed to be tomorrow.

Except the Lord.

I am met tonight with a renewed sense of gratitude that my anchor is moored in the truth that will never disappear, be altered, change, or leave me. Praise God that His Hawaiian country cottage in my soul is rooted in the fertile soil of the spirit, not the lush slopes of Mount Haleakala, and that it will never fade away as this earth ebbs and flows. The truth of the Lord stands forever.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apart from mixing metaphors, nice thoughts and so true.

(hint: houses don't have anchors, they have foundations. Ships have anchors)

10:36 PM  
Blogger lachen said...

Allan! Some houses have anchors, but they would be houseboats. :)

I love mixing metaphors... and it seems especially appropriate on Maui, where land and water intermix with harmony and both seem to blend into the sky at sunset.

I love it here. Who knew that God would routinely use this rugged volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean to refocus the life of one very small inhabitant of this earth?

Soli Deo Gloria!

1:26 PM  
Blogger lachen said...

Hi Gina,

Welcome here!

And thank you for your kind words. Wow. My faith is not because of me, honestly. It only comes as a result of being willing to stand completely open, with no agenda or fear, utterly and totally willing to go where the Lord would take me and to know the Truth. I was lost and wanted to be found.

And God kept His promise and found me. Everything from there has been me developing trust in Him and letting Him be the beacon so I no longer walk in darkness.

If I can, I would like to begin praying for your journey to begin towards filling the emptiness with the powerful relationship in truth that sets us free.

Love and blessings -

Lachen

1:53 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

Amen, Lachen! God is our anchor, which is why so many people who do not know the Lord seem to drift.

Mixing metaphors is fun. Have a great day---is it still aloha, Lachen or have you returned from the Tropical to your Domestic Paradise?

9:07 PM  
Blogger lachen said...

Still aloha... but the time here is in twilight... only a few more days left! :)

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home