Saturday, January 21, 2006

Viral Meningitis

Your friendly neighborhood blogger has just been diagnosed with Viral Meningitis. I have struggled with an ongoing, persistent, staggeringly bad headache for the last 16 days. The MRI results and medical consensus is that it is viral meningitis. Meningitis comes in two varieties: viral and bacterial. Bacterial is the more serious of the two in terms of fatality risk. Viral is almost universally non-fatal. Well, I guess it could be fatal if you contracted it shortly before walking in front of a very fast bus. But by itself, it is not fatal. It just really, really, REALLY hurts. My head has alternated between feeling clamped down in a medieval metal vice ~ to feeling like it is going to implode. And every sensation in between. All of them powerfully painful.

Is there a word for the opposite of a hypocondriac? Instead of imagining symptoms and illnesses I am not laden with, I seem to have developed and equally lovely tendency to under-emphasize the ailments I actually DO have. I'm not sure which is better. My goal is to be the person who can correctly identify symptoms with degree of seriousness and then act on them.

This past two weeks has certainly not been physically pleasant, but I am told I will almost certainly heal by the end of the week and am placing my hopes and expectations in that.

In the meantime, I am lying low, content to hang out in the general direction of the rocking chair (my kids frequent here), fridge (Dr. Pepper lives there) my laptop (you guys), and alternating between voting for Pedro and listening to Wendell Warrington wrap the love of Jesus into Hawaiian island rythyms. Not a bad place to recover.

8 Comments:

Blogger butterfly cocoon said...

Oh my goodness, Lachen! I will pray for your recovery. Hugs! Pat
PS I find antihypochondriacs refreshing :)

8:09 AM  
Blogger ~Kristina~ said...

hope you are feeling better soon and those pesky headaches go away.

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lord, help Lachen to recover quickly and get back to her normal (???) condition. In Jesus' name.

le

2:39 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

{HUGS} Hope you get better soon!

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I told you before and I'll tell you again...it's the Dr. Pepper.

Get better, that's an order.

11:54 PM  
Blogger lachen said...

Thanks you guys! MRI today... I'll keep you posted. And I *DEEPLY* appreciate your support and kind words. I am learning new aspects of God's grace and enjoying the humility of having your body rebel on you.

And for the record, le, the Dr. Pepper is part of the prescription for healing - LOL - not the cause!

:)

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was Allan, but I'm sure he won't mind being misidentified as me. ;-)

le

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds really nasty lachen...about the only thing you can do is wash your hands 50 times a day.

I seem to recall one or more of the children being ill a short time ago, that could be the original source of the virus.

Hope they can identify and clobber it soon, we're all pullin' and prayin' for you.

I still say lay off the Dr. Pepper until you're better, borrow one of Lala's teddybears for consolation.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home