Thursday, December 08, 2005

A Few Good Men...

Fellow movie buffs may recognize the moment in this movie in which Demi Moore, as a lawyer for the defense, loudly objects to a motion made by the prosecution. Her objection is flatly denied by the judge. She then stands up and reasserts her motion, saying, "We STRENUOUSLY object."

While on a business trip to Tennessee this week, I am met with the following realization: Christmas is being strenuously objected to across our land. The word and concept of an amorphous "holiday season" is replacing "Christmas" all over the place. Masses of people are supposedly offended by the mere mention of the word, the advertisement of baby Jesus and the manger, the very concept that Christ is involved in this sandblasted, glittery, commercial fest that is effectively poaching the celebration of the birth of my Lord. So Christmas seems to be objected to and increasingly censored.

Sometimes I naively take shelter in my refuge in California, assuring myself that surely the rest of our nation is not struck with anti-Christmas-itis as my precariously askew home state is. But as I am greeted by the same shallow, secular, commercialized version of this most sacred holiday, as I visit the "Bible belt" of America, I am gaining new understanding the extent of this phenomenon.

I understand and respect wholly that in this most diverse of nations, America embraces within its boundaries variant traditions that share the calendar with Christmas. I support our many Jewish friends in their Hanukkah festival of Lights, our few peers who celebrate Kwaanza, our smattering of friends who cherish their Yule or more Secular traditions, and even one guy even hails to the Seinfeld "Festivus" celebration (he has a weird affection for Seinfeld, no doubt ~ but in a good, goofy way ~ I've warned you about the vast and often random assortment of people who comprise our circle of friends).

But we do not see universal demands being made to remove the Star of David, the Seven Symbols of Kwanzaa, Yule Holly or Mistletoe or Log displays, Santa, Rudolph, and Frosty. We DO see evidence of Christ, Jesus, and Christmas in concept and practice under attack. Look around, listen, and hear. Christmas is being aggressively shoved out of the way. Not to include other traditions, but solely to EXCLUDE Jesus Christ. Why must Christmas move aside to allow for other traditions over this sacred holiday season. Why must some demand their right not to be "offended" by the very presence of Christ in the Christmas celebration or season trump our right to openly celebrate our religion and the Lord at the center of it? As for me and my heart, that causes me anguish and I strenuously object.

The kindest and most honorable manner to include every American in the Christmas season is not to EXCLUDE those of us for whom Christmas begins and ends with the birth of Christ (not the arrival of Santa Claus or the unfortunate accompanying pile of credit card debt he brings to the tree each year). Inclusion, not exclusion, is the only way we can harmoniously share a holiday season which holds different cherished meanings for each of us.

In this most miraculous season of peace on earth and goodwill towards men, we must remember that this goodwill must extend to, as well as from, Christians. Christmas, for those of us who are saved by grace alone, will always be wrapped around the heartbeat of our savior, not a snowman or a reindeer and a jolly fat man in a red suit (who, while admittedly fun and joyful, do not deliver the salvation we celebrate). Surely we can coexist together without forced censorship? Surely Jesus deserves equal recognition within our growingly amorphous "winter holiday season"? Surely there can be peace on earth between religious and secular traditions as we cherish our own celebrations this Christmas?

Peace on Earth.
Goodwill towards men.
An Angel in the Eastern sky.
A Baby in a Manger.

And Hope for all Mankind.

That is Christmas for me. And I gotta say, I think Jesus effectively annihilates the wall-mounted singing reindeer (that I am a bit scared some goofball relative just may give to Copper this year)

4 Comments:

Blogger Angel said...

I couldn't agree with you more. However, "a few good men" are making a difference in this respect; see www.savemerrychristmas.org. Their recent success with Macy's gives me great hope and encouragement. :)

11:49 AM  
Blogger ~Kristina~ said...

Preach it girl. that is just how i feel this yr.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

Hi Lachen-I had noticed that you were off blogging for a bit, but I knew that whatever it was, God could handle it. Good to see you back; though you put it much more eloquently than I could, I just covered the same problem in a post on our blog-you're right-it's being referred to as an offense to have a manger scene showing the birth of Christ. My short answer:
Be offended.
I hope that you and your family have a very fine Christmas. Take care, Lachen, and as I am going to point over here from our blog, let me apologise in advance for any offended posters in high dugeon because you mention Jesus Christ.

10:22 PM  
Blogger lachen said...

Thanks guys. I am lending my voice to the effort by proclaiming the truth and the Lord. Not Frosty, Rudolph, and consumer credit card debt, which seem to be the prevailing themes this year.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESUS (that is for you, Doug... :).

May God forgive our arrogance and blindingly short attention span.

12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home