Sunday, November 06, 2005

Whether by wallet or through window

Copper and I disagree on this one. Now, for long-time tuners-in of this blog, or for all those who find themselves landing on my blog after Googling "Dr. Pepper" (happens a delightfully often, actually) for that matter, please understand that Copper and I adore one another and harmonize on 99% of our lives. It is the remaining, rebellious 1% that adds a dose of feisty to our conversations and gives me ample food for thought and jumping off points for blog entries.

Like this one.

You see, Copper is rational and reasonable above all else, doggone him. *grin* He leads with his head, with his heart playing a supporting, though vital, role in his decision making process. Now as for me, I am one whose whole heart has veto power over skepticism and reason at times, sometimes neglecting even to consult with my brain until it has already instinctually reacted.

So on this, we disagree: giving to the poor.

Not that we should and do. But how to respond to the immediate, messy, stark needs of these confronting us in sometimes uncomfortable ways.

I am speaking specifically of those needful strangers on corners holding cardboard signs, asking for help as cars whiz past. Those signs, those faces, and those people have always been nearly impossible to deny extending my hand to. I hurt for them and with them, and that kind of keening requires response. Action.

I realize all the reasons why NOT to hand money and food from my car to a person on a corner.

I realize there are shelters available for the homeless, where hot meals are served and warm beds await. I realize that a great majority of our homeless are addicts and will likely use any monetary handouts offered in a manner which supports, first, the addiction. I realize that there are people who are self-described "career homeless" and deliberately seek to survive on the generosity of others. I realize there is a personal safety concern involved. I realize all of this as I am no blind to all these elements of reality I see happening around me.

But beyond that, I see pain, helplessness, and a fellow human being standing on a street corner begging me to see him. Asking me to treat him as I would, myself. Wanting me to care about him, even for the briefest of moments. Just long enough to extend a few dollars I can spare and would not miss. So that he can eat or drink or sleep safely as I do every night. So that he can make it until tomorrow. So that he has hope.

I can't pass that by. I rarely do. It hurts me deep inside and I find myself wondering about the life meanderings which led that particular person to this particular corner. I hope it never ceases to pierce into my heart, to carve into my thoughts. I pray I never become numb to those in our world who need our help. Even when they stand on street corners and we secretly wonder about their motives, situation, and integrity even as we cannot deny their need. Few would stand on a chilly street corner holding a handwritten sign on cardboard at oncoming traffic for the sheer thrillof the experience. I have chosen to not allow the few who would take advantage of the kindness of strangers to overcome my hearts' cry to do what Jesus would do.

Copper hears that same cry. And he hears it with a tender heart and a willing spirit, and in answer to the Lord's call to love and care for the poor. But his sense of reality prohibits handouts from car windows or along sidewalks. He is a police veteran and his view of the world juxtaposes the teachings of Jesus with the sad, stark reality of the dregs of society: predators, scammers, and lost souls. He believes in supporting those who create more lasting and stringent systems, programs, and solutions to poverty through charities and shelters. His generosity inspires me, even as the methodology we favor to answer the cries of others differs.

As for me, I lower my window and take the chance.

May God bless those without homes, money, safety, and hope as we enter the winter season of holidays and celebration. In whatever manner, whether through a window, from a pocket as we stop along a sidewalk, as a financial donation to charity, or as a gift of time and care, may we all be led by Jesus' example to rise up to care for our fellow human beings in their season of need.

Imagine all we could accomplish if we each cared for others as we would wish to be cared for ourselves. Because, but for the grace of the Lord, it could be me on that street corner. And I would be praying for you to see me. And care about me enough to do something.

Soli Deo Gloria

9 Comments:

Blogger MommaRia said...

I am fond of having the pouches of tuna in the car for that very reason. I will hand out a couple of pouches of protien to this souls. I have been approached as we leave restaraunts and will give them the doggy bag (if they want it, and that is usually what they ask for actually). It's good for them because I automatically put 1/2 of my dinner in a to-go box before I even start eating anymore.

I don't have money to give them, but I come from a family that always did help. My grandfather used to give 2 pence, a small piece of soap and 1/2 a cheese sandwich to anyone who came knocking on their door during the depression. I like that. Good grandpa. It's a shame I never met him. *sigh*.

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A preacher named Landon Saunders once said, "My Father feeds 6 billion people a day who are taking advantage of Him. It looks like I can afford 1 or 2."
I applaud your willingness to open that window.

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whenever I hand money out the window, I cry as I drive down the street. I feel totally used--
by the Lord.
I don't do it every time, but whenever I do, I am overwhelmed by God's love. Maybe I'm a sucker, but I'm not worthy of anything I have either and I misuse my bounty (time, family, etc) every day.
Pray quickly first and be careful not to get yourself into a dangerous situation.
However, if it is a real source of contention between you and your husband, yield. God will use someone else to make provision and your husband will take the hit if he has given you wrong counsel.

le

1:50 PM  
Blogger TamWill said...

I like to give them blankets, sleeping bags and a couple of dollars...my family thinks I am a sucker, because they will just go spend it on a fix.

But I really think that 80% of homeless people are mentally disabled/ill. And then they possibly turn to addictions. I feel the spirit of the Lord when I help them.
Enjoyed your post :)

4:27 PM  
Blogger lachen said...

Thanks Le. Copper knows that if he says no, it is no. But because he respects the unique manner we all answer the call of the Lord to minister to the poor, so far he is on board with his wife's hearts' version. :)

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sucker, schmucker...suckers don't give to anyone. Suckers live for the opportunity to lose everything they have attempting to get everything they don't have.

God loves a cheerful giver - give not until it hurts, but until it helps.

Pro 22:9 - He who has a good eye, he is blessed, for he gives of his bread to the poor.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

I too find myself torn in this situation. I so want to give, but I question. Why - we may never know. I wish there was more this world could do. I wish the US would take care of its own before extending to others. It's sad that people end up in these situations and I am sure they all have amazing stories. You always wonder if there is someone out there looking for them or they could go to but have chosen not too for some odd reason - where they come from & what have they been through. I dont see them out where I am at, but down where my 'rents live it is weird if you do not see them *sigh*

9:38 PM  
Blogger Coccobello said...

I am all for helping homeless people.. BUT in my neck of the woods, the people with signs are usually part of an organized-crime (although it isn't really 'crime') type scheme... there's the leader who plants people at strategic intersections and then takes a large cut of what they make. They are his payroll so to speak. That said, DH has befriended some homeless people near work and gives food, coats, hats, gloves, etc. He will occasionally give them money, but only to the ones he has 'known' for a few years.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Coccobello said...

quick PS--- the leader of the ring that was on some news expose a few years back had luxury cars, etc. Apparently each person was bringing in hundreds of $$ per day. I'm sure there are legit. people standing out there, but I'm usually wary of the people-with-signs thing...

so... in a nutshell-- nothing to people with signs, concrete goods and occasional money to homeless people near DH's place of work.

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home