Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Nine

Nine years ago on this sacred day, we stood in a lush park overlooking the ocean.

The sun was particularly friendly, and the seductive breeze drifted in and out of our interlocked embraces.

I remember the distinct juxtaposition of aromas: pungent salty sea, blooming jasmine, and the sugary frosting of the cake and treats laid carefully amidst a frothy bed of white tulle, sprawled over a dozen tables.

On that afternoon, a string quartet played joyfully.

Amazing Grace echoed from the lilting voices of my family over the outdoor arena filled with family and friends gathered specially, sitting together sheltered from the sun under the canopy of trees.

I remember I wanted to be barefoot, but wisely chose to wear the shoes from our first date instead. I remember his nose, flaring in concerted effort to keep the tears from spilling over. I remember his hands. Shaking. Mine were utterly peaceful. Calm, sure, ready. And clutching the first of many tissues I would go through during the day.

The prayer. The familiar tune. The time had come. My brother led me down the steps and to my waiting best friend. Who on that day, under an impossibly blue, cloudless sky, made me a promise like no other. A covenant before our Lord. To honor and obey. To love and to cherish. To have and to hold. To pray with and pray for.

Until death temporarily separates us until we reunite in heaven, amidst the Kingdom of the very God who created us and blessed our union that day. And each day thereafter.

On that October afternoon, he made me his wife. And sealed his promise with a kiss that echoed off the lapping waves in the distance.

On that day, I thee wed.

I love you, Copper. Thank you for blessing my life with your own. Supporting and encouraging me on the journey from woman to wife to mother and back again. Nine years under our belts, countless more to enjoy and romp through. Together. By the grace of Lord, the power of commitment, and the honor of choosing to love one another each day as God first loved us.

Here's To Keeping Our Promises....

11 Comments:

Blogger MommaRia said...

Happy anniversary Copper and Lachen and many many more celebrations.

3:55 AM  
Blogger ~Kristina~ said...

That was so beautiful to read.

Happy Anniversary Lachlen and Copper. I hope you are this hapy forever.

p.s. didnt realize our anniversarys were so close. Mine is tommorrow

5:38 AM  
Blogger lachen said...

K - I admit I remember your anniversary by my own! :) HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to you too. May our husbands continue to be as blessed by us as we are by them.

7:46 AM  
Blogger lachen said...

Maria - thank you! We are both looking forward to celebrating each year of marriage and life God's plan holds for us. :)

7:50 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

That was beautiful! Happy Anniversary to you both. May you have many many more. Love you guys!

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on nine years! That is a good start.

le

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Props for 9. Here's to many more.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Angel said...

Congratulations to you both. Anniversaries are so special. :) Hope you get the opportunity to celebrate!

2:38 PM  
Blogger Coccobello said...

happy anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2:41 PM  
Blogger Karmon said...

Happy Anniversary my dear friends.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Molly said...

Happy Anniversary, Lachen and Copper! Sorry I missed this originally. ;)

I hope that the coming years bring you even more joy!

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home