Saturday, June 18, 2005

Father's Day Heartsong

TO COPPER ON FATHERS DAY

To the person I respect most on this planet,
my hero,
my inspriation,
my source of wickedly funny jokes,
my comfort,
the holder of my soul,

the one who knows me best,
my lover,
and the incredible father to our sweet children,
I offer these clumsy words from my heart...



A Father is born
from moment one
when first emerges
the tiny daughter or son

That miraculous event
begins the lifelong journey
- a souls's advent -
transforming mere man into "Daddy".

To be a father
you only must be
the very best version of yourself
with utter trust in the Almighty.

Leaning not unto your own understandings,
relying on wisdom from the Word
as into your humble hands have been given
these precious children's lives to shepherd.

You have forever been changed, my love
your place in our children's lives eternally set,
for no other role you shall ever embrace
is more meaningful than this chance that you get

To shape the future of our precious children
to mold and hold their hearts in your grip
to train them up in the way that they should go
and to love and encourage them when they trip.

I am priviledged to watch you rise
to the challenges parenting can bring,
I gain comfort and wisdom from watching you devote
your whole self to your children's well-being.

As the Father of my children and the man I adore,
You have given me the gift of your love all over again
once for me as your best friend and wife,
once more as beloved father for our children:


As your infants' sorrowed cries
Cause a quickened pace
After chubby toddler's fall
Your fingers wipe tears from her trusting face

Sharing giggles with your baby boy
when you tickle him in the spot only you both know
Dancing with your sweet daughter
As she stands on your shoes, tiptoed

Teaching tiny fingers to throw a ball
rewarded by squeals of utter delight
Soothing middle of the night fears of the dark
with comforting cuddles and prayers of insight

Rising long before the sun to begin
another long and intensive work day
to provide so lovingly for your family
and allow Mom to stay home while you are away.

When at long last returning home
as sun threatens to set
The abundantly happy cries of "Daddy!" greet you
and comprise the best present you could ever get.

On this special Father's Day,
please receive our thanks anew
As both my beloved husband and their precious Daddy
we truly and forever will always love you.

2 Comments:

Blogger ~Kristina~ said...

That was beautiful

Happy Fathers Day Copper

11:46 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

C ~ That was so beautiful. Hope you guys had a wonderful Fathers Day!

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home