Thursday, January 11, 2007

Woudn't take nothing for my journey

I am here! I've just been taking a little well-derved rest.

This approximate two-week absence from my blog is, in this instance, rather meaningful. You see, this most current leg of my life's journey has involved some rather stormy seas.

We found out just before Thanksgiving that I would be facing heart surgery in January to repair a congenital heart defect that was causing blood clots. A bit out of left field and not the manner in which we hoped to begin 2007, certainly. But face it we did. We knelt in prayer quite a bit in the time leading up to this week, asking for strength, courage, bravery, and peace. We drew near to the comfort of the Lord and of family and friends. I tasted grace in the face of fear. A new level of my faith was born.

And this Tuesday morning, between 10:22 and 12:56, I was laying upon an operating table at the hospital, surrounded by seven men in aqua and white scrubs and plastic face masks. I was having surgery on my heart.

Unfortunately, I experienced a complication, and despite all their medical expertise and efforts, the doctors were unable to repair the hole that lies between the ventricles of my heart and is cauing me to have strokes. So while I recover here in the toasty comfort of my own bed, I am met with the reality that I will almost definitely need to have this surgery all over again within the next 90 days.

And so we are again in prayer.

But as interesting and painful as this particular portion of the road has been, I wouldn't take nothing for my journey (thanks Maya) because I only see the path behind me and perhaps the step just ahead. The Lord alone is the author and FINISHER of my faith, my life, my steps, my path. He alone knows where He will lead me. I won't waste my moments complaining about the darkness that surrounds me at midnight, because I have faith that the sun will rise again soon.

I covet your prayers for peace and grace as we face this leg of our journey, and may God bless every one who happens upon this blog page.

6 Comments:

Blogger Doug said...

Lachen,thank God for you. The Author and Finisher of our faith never has a nanosecond of doubt as to how to proceed, so we know that whatever we face, He's there ready and able to get us through. You definitely are in my prayers, and our prayers, as soon as the others read you post. We pray asking God to heal you, guide the surgeons and their team;isn't it also a miracle that we can now fix medically what a hundred years ago we couldn't even diagnose?
May God continue to Bless you, Lachen, and your family.

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God bless you, Lachen. My heart goes out to you and your family. But our God is huge and His will is for our good. I pray that He showers mercy and grace on you, and peace in the midst of this storm. Love you.
le

9:21 AM  
Blogger Roxy Wishum said...

Lachen; Thank you for sharing your journey. Thank you, also, for introducing me to the writings of Phillip Yancey through your comments on "Rumours". I have now read several of his books and now "coincidentally" am reading his book "Prayer, Does it Make a Difference". One thought Yancey expresses well that took me a while to fully digest is that since God does not operate on the same space/time continuum as us, we can pray for a surgery or other event that has already happened and while, to us, the event is in the past--God is able to be aware of our prayer before the event or prayer actually take place. I know that sounds a little "new age" and the concept is hard to grasp from a poor writer in a short paragraph. But, I believe it. And because I do, I am praying for your future and past treatements. Who knows, maybe they will take a look in a couple of weeks and say "Well, Ms. Peripheral Musings, it seems we were mistaken. Your heart is just fine!" Please keep us posted when you can.

10:31 AM  
Blogger lachen said...

AMEN, you guys.

I am taking this time between surgeries to pray for the BIG miracle. The one where they go into my heart again, after 4 MRI's, two echocardiograms and a bubble study and a heart surgery, all of which show a clear hole in my ventricles... and cannot find the hole. I am praying that God heals the hole miraculously.

I am praying that he gives me a glimpse behind the veil and that my faith never once falters. After all, there are harder tests than this ahead, if we believe Him and have read Revelations at all. This one surely is miniscule comparatively?

Bless you guys for coming and encouraging me today.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

I dont even know you, but I do know you are a beautiful person. I will definitely be praying for you. Please keep us updated.-I totally agree with Roxy-we will be praying for all of it.

6:40 AM  
Blogger Princess said...

I read about your surgery on the military wife's blog. I was so surprised. You have been in my prayers and will continue to be.

kenzkyle - praying in Mass.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home