Monday, August 21, 2006

icky~yuck~yuck~ptooey


Chalk this up as yet another reason I love these turtleneck sweaters.

Forever the victim of bulk shopping culture, I made a run on these lovely chenille, impossibly soft sweaters last Christmas. When they finally went on final clearance sale (because I can't stomach buying something that is NOT on sale if at all humanly possible), I bought one for each female family member and a few for myself, too (howdidthathappen?).

I knew it would get cold in the theater today, and since my body has been struggling to be able to stay warm lately, I decided to wear one of my exactly-the-same-except-for-the-color sweaters on my date night to the movies (well, date" late afternoon" is a more accurate term: we went to the early show with the rest of the geriatrics, in order to be able to pay the el cheapo "twilight price" of $5.50) with my beloved husband. I wore the purple turtleneck sweater, actually, since it matters.

And thank goodness that the material is stretchy, because the turtle part of the turtleneck was up over my face up to my eyes for about two hours. Just long enough to make it through the wretched catastrophe of a movie, "Snakes on a Plane".

OK, I should have known better.

SNAKES. ON. A. PLANE. ~ It's not like I wasn't amply warned.


It's not Shyamalan or Spielberg or Bruckhemier or even Ed Wood. It's formulaic scary thriller movie meets pointlessly sickenning, gratutitously gruesome yuck fest.

Yeah, I didn't care for it too terribly much.

This lovely little psycho serpent film did not make for fantabulous date night entertainment for Lachen and Copper. Although Copper did manage to work himself into a giggly fit watching me squirm, squeal, and try to carve myself into the cushions of my seat or into his seat with him, out of sheer discomfort and desire to avoid etching graphic scenes of angry venomous snakes attacking people in my mind forever. Ooooh, this movie was an amplified experiment in icky~yuck~yuck~ptooey for our friendly neighborhood blogger.

And though I have no one to blame but myself for this voluntary venture into this cinematic catastrophe, images of snakes are haunting me now. It has been now 9.25 hours since the movie ended and I have been yet unable to take this turtleneck off. I dont know why. Possibly, I am even planning to sleep with it on tonight. To ward off psycho snakes~on~airplane dreams. But I think I just might need more than chenille sweater therapy after two hours of the raunchy reptilian torture test today.

I love this turtleneck sweater. Love it.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh, that's funny. Come on, it's an instant classic.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Ok, so you are THE last person I figured would have saw this movie - LOL.

When I see the previews I can only think ...

"Ok, is it me or does this look like THE dumbest thing in the world." The title is literally what the movie is all about. Is the movie business THAT desperate that they are running out of crap to make movies about?!?!?

9:34 AM  
Blogger Angel said...

Even the previews for that movie give me the willies. What I couldn't beleive was that serious, talented actors agreed to appear in it. I really thought Samuel L. Jackson was better than that. *grin*

11:33 AM  
Blogger lachen said...

From the woman who loves the movie, "Aliens" almost cetegorically rejects all the slasher/psychological thriller genre entirely, I have no problem suspending disbelief for the purpose of good entertainment. But everything I had read or understood about the basic premise of this flick indicated that there was a less than 10% chance I would enjoy it at ALL (hello - lotsa poisonous snakes? aboard a plane from Hawaii? That is a little too close to home for my ick factor), but I took it anyway.

I figured it could go one of two ways, and it went the OTHER way: the non-comedic, non-sarcastic or sardonic, very-aware-that-it-is-ridiculous-and-making-fun-of-itself-the-whole-time way. It was gruesome and over-the-top.
Not funny, not amusing, not... well, just not.

And did I mention that there were hundreds of venomous SNAKES in this movie? As in, S.N.A.K.E.S?

I took of the turtleneck this morning to take a shower. I am debating whether or not to wear it again tonight.

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most snakes have a special animus for anything purple!

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, Alien is perhaps the most gripping movie ever made in the horror/monster genre. For just plain it-could-really-happen genre Duel and Jaws, two four-letter titles by Speilberg set a high standard for the buildup-tension-release mode.

But my alltime favorite ***Night Of The Hunter with Robert Mitchum. A true classic. If you haven't seen it, rent it, buy it, steal it (then give it back & confess) and watch it, preferably with Copper nearby and no kids.

12:12 AM  
Blogger ~ cyndyann ~ said...

I never once thought I would want to see that movie .. Now I know it'd be the waste of time I assumed it would be ....

Love the purple sweater even thought I'm not a turtleneck person...

HUGS

11:35 AM  
Blogger Mo said...

Love the sweater! And I can't wait to see the movie. I'm hoping that it's going to be so bad that it's good.

1:10 PM  
Blogger DesertGirl said...

I've heard it's a B movie instant classic.

But, you...my turtleneck wearing friend.. are completely silly. Sorry, I'd be with Copper in laughing ;) I say that now before I've seen it!

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home