Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Turning lanes

The little handle next to the steering wheel in most standard autmobiles in America is known as a "turn signal". It is used to signal a turn or a lane change. Ideally, this indication would take place BEFORE one makes said turn or lane change.

Just posting this little gentle reminder for all those who changed lanes perilously in front of my car on the freeway today without using this subtle indicator that I was imminently about to have a 3000 pound vehicle upon me. The driver of the bright yellow Hummer who flashed his turn signal once while in mid-lane change does get half credit for at least partial effort. But everyone else failed miserably. And I'm not even grading on the curve.

Using turn signals. A lost American art?

8 Comments:

Blogger Doug said...

Lachen, obviously all those drivers were late, hurrying to get to their court mandated defensive driving course. I signal without even thinking about it, as I once rear-ended a "driver" who, in 40 MPH traffic, realized he was missing his turn so he came to a dead stop...and then turned on his turn signal. No one hurt, but I nearly collided with a car in the next lane trying to unsucessfully avoid him.
Have a better day, Lachen. Find any gifts yet? :)

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I've noticed that the turn signals on the newer cars and trucks don't seem to work every time. If it was me I'd take it back for a refund.

BTW, I assume the drivers have arms which, in the ancient days when I learned how to drive a stick shift, were used to indicate turns...straight out for left, bent at the elbow hand pointing up for right, bent at the elbow hand pointing down for stop, regardless of weather.

1:09 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Was wondering the same thing - why do they even make turn signals in cars anymore? Are they an option feature when buying a new vehicle?

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm too busy talking on my cell phone to use a turn signal.

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gina, I'll bet you call the tv remote a 'clicker' too, don't you? C'mon, admit it. :)

1:35 AM  
Blogger BP said...

That was too funny. I am sure that it was not entertaining when it happened, but the story is amuzing now. I will be paranoid about using my turn signals (directionals) for a long time now.

God Bless.

3:55 PM  
Blogger lachen said...

I think the cell phone numbers of drivers should be mandatorily posted on their cars, so we can CALL THEM from across the yellow line and remind them to SIGNAL before they-cut-us-off-because-they-were-chatting-with-their-accountant next time.

You guys cheered me! Bless you. I am now officially commanding each of us to drive using our signals/directionals/blinkers ALL THE TIME now. I mean it. Don't make me come over there :)

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that's a good one Lachen, distract them even more.

Scott - LOL

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home