Friday, July 15, 2005

New spin on playing tag

My Metropolitan Mommy friend, Liz, has tagged me. Quite evidently, the "tagging" phenomenon is a blogger's answer to a chain letter ~ only nicer because it does not involve threats of death or dismemberment for failing to fullfil the mandated obligations. Since I love Liz, I am happy to oblige her tagging efforts and answer the series of (abbreivated) questions. I give you, the TAG:

1.) What I was doing ten years ago:
July, 1995 saw me finishing my fourth year of college and celebrating the 6-month dating milestone with the stellar man who would become my husband. Trouncing around in Ugg Boots, failing at continued surfing efforts, co-leading high school ministry at my church, recording back-up to Gospel Albums, doing voiceover work for Japanese video games and random extra work in movies, and writing my religious studies graduate thesis.

2.) Five years ago:
July, 2000 saw me readying for a vacation in Maui with Copper in to celebrate our 4th wedding anniversary a bit early. We eagerly hoped to return with a very special souvenir. Our plan worked, and our tiny little stowaway emerged nine months later as our cherished daughter, LaLa. I had gained professional confidence and excellence in the last 4 years of practicing Real Estate, and was thrilled to trade my 80-hour work week for parenting (168 hours a week). Still wearing Ugg boots, but not to the office. Traded the sufboard for scuba equipment.


3.) One year ago:
July, 2004 found me nursing my four-month old son every 18 minutes and gleefully learning the nuances of parenting a son as opposed to a daugther (diaper changes were a big difference, among others). Still not sleeping through the night, but nearing the point where "New Baby Exhaustion" is not so obvious to everyone you come into contact with on the street. Living the reality that "weight loss" after pregnancy should not be so heavily lauded ~ as the shape of your body forever changes and items that were once located north of the bodily equator somehow suddenly migrate south ~ no matter how quickly you see the numbers on the scale retreat.

I rocked my baby son a lot, usually in tandem with my still-baby girl. I read countless books and made up bedtime stories about frogs and kittens. I learned to be grateful for peaceful moments, and that shared naps are as refreshing as a cold Dr. Pepper in September.

I wore my Ugg boots on the airplane trip to Maui we took at the end of this month.


4.) Yesterday:
Yesterday I enjoyed being newly reunited with my family. I relished God anew and basked in the potent realization of miracles in my midst. I hugged and snuggled my children with abandon. I spent time on the phone and computer regarding my friend in the hospital. I stood in line at the DMV for a period of time that was almost unbearable. I practiced being patient. Our family savored an excellent dinner at a local restaurant and giggled at innocent jokes and antics. My heart took pictures. After the kids were tucked into bed, I pulled my Ugg boots over my stocking feet and sighed contentedly.

5.) 5 snacks I enjoy:
Dr. Pepper (this is not a snack, this is a staple! :), sunflower seeds, sour candy, pretzels, vegetables and dip

6.) 5 Things I would do if I suddenly had $100 million:
Try to become pregnant immediately (and several times over), Free my extended family from all debt, Move to Maui, Support Bridges of Hope and other God-based effective charities in a more monetarily powerful way, Go back to school to become an obstetrician.

7.) 5 locations I would like to run away to:
I don't want to run away. But I'd like to visit the US Eastern Seaboard, Ireland ~ England ~ Scotland, the Meditteranean, and revisit the Bahamas and Tahiti

8.) 5 bad habits I have:
Underestimating God, Overestimating what I can accomplish in 24 hours, Not showing my love and adoration of my husband and children nearly enough, Biting my nails, Eating absolutely horridly.

9.) 5 things I like doing:
Singing, Reading, Writing, Playing Poker, Organizing/Planning/Cleaning (yes, laundry falls into this category)

10.) 5 TV shows I like:
House Hunters, Bargain Hunt, Antiques Roadshow, WSOP, Law and Order

11.) 5 Biggest joys of the moment:
LaLa, Joy Boy, Copper, the release of the newest Harry Potter installment, and that my dear friend is going to recover from her stroke.

TAG!! Now it's your turn ~ I'm sharing the TAGGING love:

PAT

COCO

MARIA

AMITY

8 Comments:

Blogger lachen said...

Laugh it up ~ you're TAGGED. :)

*grin*

9:50 AM  
Blogger Coccobello said...

oh no.. am I it?? Or is there another coconut running around cyberland?

10:27 AM  
Blogger Coccobello said...

Wow... 2 comments for you back-to-back.
The TAG game inspired me to copy-paste from the website I had 10 years ago (as you can see I did not get past question #1). I will post it as soon as I anonymize it ;o)

10:30 AM  
Blogger lachen said...

Cocobello - YOU'RE TAGGED. I am loking forward to reading your TAG results on your blog. :)

11:46 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Awww, I love you too Lachen! Fun reading.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

"doing voiceover work for Japanese video games and random extra work in movies"

Ok, What games and What movies? Japanamation and video games are hobbies of the hubby and I..

:)

9:20 AM  
Blogger lachen said...

Hi Molly!

One of my favorite game voiceovers I did was a game for the original Playstation platform: "DeStrega". It's not Anime and the storyline is fairly baffling. But, on this one, in addition to using our voices, the producers also our actual physical form as the model for each character. We were traced, digitalized, and then animated. It was amazing at the time. My character ended up looking eerily similar to me with the BIG notable exception of some ~ahem~ liberally augmented assets. LOL

And my biggest "extra" moment (one in which I was not completely lost in a sea of random faces or a red blur somewhere in the middle of a flick) was in "My Best Friend's Wedding". The scene in which Cameron Diaz confronts Julia Roberts in the bathroom of a ball staduim was actually filmed in LA over the course of 14 hours. FOURTEEN hours I got to sit in a hot bathroom stall with Cameron Diaz and watch Julia Roberts toss Jujubees back and forth the guys holding the light riggings above us. All for +/- 30 seconds of screen time.

There you have it: the Cliff's Notes version of my illustrious career as a glorified prop. :)

12:43 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

I must see that movie now, and rent that game..

Thank you for sharing that!

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home