Sunday, July 10, 2005

Into the eye and home again

Tomorrow begins a rather reluctant 3-day lull here in my corner of blogger land. I will be aboard a series of airplanes, accidentally (who knew a hurricane would be such an unfortunate party-crasher when I booked this trip 3 weeks ago?) headed smack into the eye of hurricane Dennis. Which should, reliant upon good faith and competent meteorology, be dissipated to mere tropical storm by the time I land in Memphis. Note the operative word, "should". I have high expectations. Well, anything above softball-sized hail and winds-so-powerful-they-loft-cows-through-the-air would be acceptable at this point.

If all goes as planned, I will be back in the saddle on Thursday. I know it's hard. A tall glass of Dr. Pepper may make my absence more bearable. Just a gentle suggestion. As Tennessee is currently reporting an average temperature of 89 degrees and 75% humidity at MIDNIGHT, I anticipate I'll likely be carrying at least one frosty can in my purse at all times. Never leave home without it. Even in a hurricane.


Though this trip is necessary and important, I will be going alone. I have never before been away from my children in this capacity and already miss them and my adored Copper with the kind of pangs reserved for military goodbyes or funerals, though they are asleep in the next rooms. Truly I am a sap. But truly these souls I am leaving, but for a brief while, are the meaning in my life. Anything I do outside their fellowship and presence is only treading water ~ waiting till I can return to them again. In the presence of God, my children and husband, I am at rest, at peace and contented to the depths of myself. I am home.

I am not a restless spirit, steeped in wanderlust. I know where my home is and long keenly for it when I am away. For in my soul, whatever the adventure, the experience, and the journey - my most anticipated and yearned for moment happens when I cross over my threshold and breathe in the knowledge that I am HOME.

Even before I leave, I ache to come back home.




4 Comments:

Blogger Vanessa said...

You be safe - call me! Dont let any rednecks kidnap you, I will be watching the news! LOL - just teasing. Love ya (you better call - I want to know you are ok) And Im SO sad that we cant meet - SO close!!!!! UGH!

11:11 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

PS - you and your Dr. Pepper! LMAO

11:13 PM  
Blogger Karmon said...

Be safe. Since you'll be in my time zone I'll call you. I agree with Nessa. Those rednecks will love you down there. -lol

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is thursday, are you safely returned?

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home