Monday, April 25, 2005

Touching Heaven

Tonight, I am so aware that my precious children are growing up and that time is fleeting, uncontrollable, and to some extent - my enemy. I am in love with my sweet babies and so want to capture the nectar of every moment as it happens. Being a parent can sometimes be akin to trying to hold water in the grip of your hand.

I watched them sleep - again - tonight. I am one of those mothers. Those stereotypical mothers who peek in on their babies as they lie in quiet slumber. Just to bask in the presence of purity, of innocence, of peace. Watching the blankets rise and fall with the rhythym of their breathing gives me such immeasurable joy. Such still, perfect faces. What wonderful, perfect creations God has somehow seen fit to place into my bumbling but so earnestly seeking care.

This is the purpose of life. These two little people whose life sprang from my own body but who will never be separated from my soul, my heart, my mind, my person. To be a mother is to come closest to touching heaven's gates while still walking the dust of the earth.

I get it now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have been keenly aware of my babies growing up so fast lately as well. my may baby is getting so big that i can barely lift him anymore and by christmas i will not be able to at all. i love to watch them sleep because in their quiet i can soak up all of the love and hold onto it tight. they are my love and my life and i am thankful for them coming to make my dreams come true.

this was a beautiful post, C. thanks.

6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home