Friday, October 06, 2006

if only I could actually send this letter

To My Beloved Clients,

I, as your Realtor, would like to take this opportunity to clarify a few things. Eight, actually.

1.) When I have clearly communicated to you, written into the contract, and when my voicemail specifically states my office hours as 9:00 a.m. ~ 5:30 p.m, please respect that. Please do not inject your business concerns into my after-hours family time. Please do not call me at my home at 6:20 in the morning on a Sunday or 10:30 at night on a Wednesday to discuss the best way to manage your dog Squeakers during open houses, the placement of photos within your virtual tour, or to decide (from the photos you sent me on my cell phone) which of three shades of sage green you should paint your Master bathroom. To everything there is a time and place. And Squeakers needs to just give it a rest. I work seven days per week, do not get holidays or weekends off, and save for that two week period per year when I physically leave the area, do not have vacation days. So please do not interrupt my family time unless it is an absolute emergency.

2.) No, leaving your $300.00 juicer on the counter of your kitchen and calling me at 9:32 p.m. at night to ask that I drive 25 minutes to your home to set it outside for your son to come and pick up in the morning because you are at a Day Spa does NOT constitute an emergency.

3.) There are, in fact, actual professional cleaning crews that will come to your house, for a fee, and do all of the cleaning tasks you so often demand that I perform for you. And, as I've told you before, I do not have any idea how to remove pet urine from your carpets. That falls outside the limits of my occupational expertise.

4.) I cannot convince anyone to pay more for your house because you like it better than all the other houses in the universe. That reasoning fails to hold much realistic weight. Especially considering that most people don't particularly see the value in having a bathroom with no door whatsoever, three windows whose glass is taped to the panes lest it fall out, a family of king snakes living in the cellar, or a loose floorboard just inside the front door with a reverberating squeak so loud that many an unsuspecting Open House visitor has to fight the urge to stop, drop and army crawl to safety.

5.) Gardener = professional who is paid to maintain and cultivate the landscaping at a certain property. Realtor = professional who is paid to transact the process of marketing and selling a certain piece of Real Property. Can you see how these two occupations are vastly different, with duties that should not be expected to overlap?

6.) Continuing to pay your electrical, water, and gas bills during the escrow process is not optional. Particularly in the fall and winter months. It is darn near impossible to market the virtues of a house whose lights do not come on, whose dry toilets actually echo and smell a bit like your flatulent bulldog, and whose unregulated temperature hovers at a nice cozy 51 degrees.

7.) Please do not ask me to suggest ways to help you "get around" the I.R.S. when reporting the income from the sale of your investment property. I enjoy my freedom and don't particularly like orange jumpsuits, thank you very much.

8.) Please do not expect me to reduce my fee because you wish your property was worth more on today's market. I do not control the general or specific economic situation in the Real Estate world. I am here to help you navigate it ethically and wisely and to provide a professional service. You would not ask a doctor, grocery manager, automotive repairperson, or garbage collector to do the same job for you for less money. Likewise, please do not expect that of me. On average over the last 10 years, by adding my collective hours of work involved in marketing, selling, and closing any given property, after I deduct my expenses, I earn approximately $12.00 an hour to achieve an average profit for my clients of $320,000. Stop whining.


If we can both commit to an understanding and willingness to agree on these eight little clarification items, I am sure we will enjoy our working relationship during this process of buying or selling a home. Thank you for your attention to this matter and I look forward to working with you. Sincerely,

Your utterly exhausted, underappreciated, and taken-for-granted Real Estate Broker

8 Comments:

Blogger mom23 said...

This actually makes me kinda mad at your customers. I would love to see your expressions after hearing these ridiculous statements the first, fifth, and thirtieth times.

And we've bought 3 houses and sold 2. Never asked our realtor anything like this stuff! Must be a CA thing? Hope so!

5:32 AM  
Blogger lachen said...

Hi Tracy,

This post comes at the end of a very trying week. And yes, all of these illustrative situations have actually happened many, many times. It was the two back to back inappropriate calls I received last night which were the catalyst to my penning my post.

Money tends to bring out the worst in people. Add in a hefty dose of stress and a well-honed sense of entitlement, and you get... well, this kind of behavior. :)

8:14 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

Whenever we sell this old farmhouse, people are going to have to accept it as is, in all of its non-glory.
Lachen, for the most offensive offendors you might consider calling them in the middle of the night to ask if they would accept an offer of half price. Three nights in a row. During the week.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Mo said...

I'm never surprised at what realtors are asked to do. I have a good friend who is a realtor (who also helped us for three years to finally find our home) and she's told me some great stories.

I asked only two things of our realtor/friend when we were looking for a house:

1. I don't want to see a home that's older than I am. I've got enough wear and tear on my body after 25 years. I can only imagine how a house feels after 25 years in the elements.

2. I don't even want to be inside of a home where someone died. That's just not my bag, baby.

Do you think those were reasonable requests? LOL

9:47 AM  
Blogger Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

gah. I cant believe you have to deal with all this! so sorry! Now I know we were nice to work with for our realtor...and did someone really have king snakes in their cellar??? did you wear your turtle neck there to show the house??

9:18 PM  
Blogger lachen said...

Ashley!

Bwahahaha!

Yes. King snakes. Two weekends ago, at an open house. Thank GOD I was not there that day - another agent was holding the open house when the snakes were found.

There are no turtlenecks I could wear to relieve me of THAT one, let me tell you.

12:27 AM  
Blogger Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

ugh! shiver. how do you NOT know those are in your hosue?? wow.

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey. i went away. now im back for privacy reasons...to add you to my list...maloneage@gmail.com if you wanna read me..

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home