Tuesday, August 01, 2006

forgive us our sins

OK. Yeah, Mel? You might not want to be drunk again. Ever.

Because when you make a mistake out loud like that, the veritable feeding frenzy begins. And you'd be advised to learn the skill of dodging stones that are being hurled at you from all directions.

The story-of-the-week is that Mel Gibson spewed an ugly outburst concerning, among other things, Jewish people, while he was drunk. This afternoon, both FOX and CNN actually broke into the news coverage of the Israel-Hezbollah war and the situation with Fidel Castro at regular intervals to let us in on the latest VIP's opinion on Mr. Mel's apparently internationally newsworthy drunken-induced lapse of moral character.

Um, guys? He's a guy who got drunk and said some really stupid stuff.

Yes, he's an actor and producer and he is famous and that matters more because we make it matter more. I get it. Sure.

But you'd think he was the leader of the free world for all this hoopla being paid to this one man. He is AN ACTOR, people: one human being on the face of this wide planet who uttered a nonsensical, illogical rant while he was under the influence of alcohol that contained racist elements that slandered Jews. It was a terrible thing to say, absolutely. But he was drunk when he said it. Though his drunkenness and drunk DRIVING arrest lowers my general respect for him, I hardly think that the words issued by someone when they are under the influence can be said to represent the content of their character. Ridiculously drunk people are not generally known to be a.) astute, b.) kind, or c.) conservative with their words and action, but I digress. Drinking tends to lead to appalling errors of judgement. It does not excuse him, and it does not relieve him of the responsibility for his actions, but it does provide a backdrop upon which to view this transgression.

And keep in mind we have ALL said some awfully dumb things, even hateful or name calling stuff. Stop denying it. I have, absolutely. You have, too.

Maybe our words did not come against a certain population of people in the form of drunken racist rants, but each one of us, if we look in our hearts with an eye towards truth, is no better than Mel. Including me. Remember when I called Cindy Sheehan a daft old bat? (you don't? well, I did. Quite a few times, actually.) And I meant every word of it - I wasn't even drunk when I spoke, like Mel was. I said those things on purpose and without regret. Well, for awhile. I regretted it later, quite suddenly and markedly. Even though she IS out to lunch, there are kinder ways of expressing that sad truth than denigrating her in the same manner she denigrates others. I said hurtful, mean, stupid things about people without knowing them. I am just as guilty as Mel Gibson.

Individual sins are only specific manifestations of the real issue of sin. So I stake my claim on the sin of this man as my own. I am NO BETTER THAN MEL. And neither are the vast majority of us who have been gleefully and with malice casting an awful lot of stones in his direction this week. We are such hypocrites, the lot of us.

I am far less impressed with our individual failures as human beings than I am with the humility and courage this man has displayed in seeking to take for the wounds his ugly words have caused to others. I am humbled by his earnest desire to be reconciled and his passionate quest for forgiveness. I was moved by his broken heart today, as he openly spoke in apology, asking for audience with those his words. This fellow Christian brother is clearly despondent and aware of the ramifications of his hateful words, and seeks to reconcile himself and make amends for the hurt he caused. Especially amidst the Jewish community of the world. Especially right now. I am filled with hope and even joy at this example of the brokenness of human beings - how we can fail so miserably sometimes, but how we can also humble ourselves, realize our transgressions, and seek forgiveness.

Anyone who does not have it in their heart to forgive Mel is invited to offer me an explanation, please. I do not understand those who deny compassion to someone in the face his heartfelt repentance.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

well said! well said! Very true. I think we have all put Mel on this ridiculous pedestal, and shouldn't be all that surprised...it's funny how we seem to hang on every word of someone famous...and then ridicule them forever when they really mess up. I think he did, however, somewhat commit a little career suicide with his rants. I hope he gets help with his alcohol problem.

8:08 AM  
Blogger lachen said...

Thanks Wonder Blogging Woman. :)

Mel may have sent his career diving with this incident.

But as for me, my respect for anyone who humbles themselves in front of an international audience and earnestly asks for forgiveness when they are clearly in the wrong, increases exponentially. :)

And I share your hope that he addresses and heals from his apparently toxic relationship with alcohol.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

Hi Lachen-I agree with you, and, beyond suggesting that he not drink, I don't have anything bad to say about Gibson. As an actor, he really is tops-look at his work in "We Were Soldiers".
I hope that he gets his priorities straight, and realizes that he needs God to save him, as he can't save himself.

9:59 AM  
Blogger mom23 said...

That is an awesome apology. I'm not sure its my job to forgive him, but I 'spose I do anyway.

The whole thing with his dad denying the holocaust still freaks me out though.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has Mel Gibson ever killed a Jew, refused to work with a Jew, refused to cast a Jew in his films, refused service from someone after he discovered he was dealing with a Jew?

A person, when drunk, will say anything, anything, and he will sell his entire family, his mother, grandmother, grandchildren, dogs even. He will suicidally get into his car which is like holding a gun to your head. Would he hold a gun to his head when sober?

The Abe Foxmans and Al Sharptons of this world are looking for, hunting for, praying for, the slightest hint of anti-Semitism and racism so they blow Mel's stupid remarks utterly out of proportion to maintain themselves in their luxurious lifestyles, acquired by looking out for the little guy. They're a bunch of phonies who are scared to death of having to actually get a real job instead of the easy road of race-baiting they feed on now. Simply put, they're scared and envious.

Much ado about very little. A drunk Mel Gibson made some stupid remarks and the sober one apologized. End of story. Let it go.

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home