Monday, September 12, 2005

wandering far from home

I have been researching American history lately. Voraciously devouring every written word penned about the founding of our American nation is more accurate. I am finding more evidence every day that our "modern"version of current American society has wandered perilously far from home.

A few thoughts I am ruminating on today:

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you and may posterity forget that ye were once our countrymen."

~Samuel Adams, 1722-1793


"In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men the great difficulty lies in this: You must first enable the government to control the governed, and in the next place, oblige it to control itself."

"The voice of the people has been said to be the voice of God; and, however generally this maxim has been quoted and believed, it is not true to fact. The people are turbulent and changing, they seldom judge or determine right. Give therefore to the first class a distinct permanent share in the government... Can a democratic assembly who annually revolve in the mass of the people be supposed steadily to pursue the public good?"

~Alexander Hamilton, 1755~1804


"Let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle."

"It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a Free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even of his personal services to the defense of it."

"How soon we forget history... Government is not reason. Government is not eloquence. It is force. And, like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."

"As Mankind becomes more liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and liberality."

~George Washington, 1732~1799

"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government."

"I know of no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them but to inform their discretion."

"If the present Congress errs in too much talking, how can it be otherwise in a body to which the people send one hundred and fifty lawyers, whose trade it is to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour?"

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever."

~Thomas Jefferson, 1743~1826

2 Comments:

Blogger mom23 said...

I love early american political philosophy! Do you have the Federalist Papers?

In terms of identifying with any political party I most closely identify with the Classical Liberal.

Nice break from your normal readings, huh?

8:04 PM  
Blogger lachen said...

I am loving this too!

I find myself reacquainting with a subject which is so dear to me, but which has ~ as it should ~ taken a backseat to my pursuit of Christian living of late.

Not that they are necessarily mutually exclusive, but when time or stamina dictate the neccesity of a choice, I tilt toward theological history rather than philosophical history.

In any case, I am thrilled to be again immersed and reading texts and authors I love and respect with an aged, open heart and mind.

I find us so far from the mark from our honorable beginnings. It is incredibly discouraging to me to be able to actually historically track our detour from the intentions of the American founders to this current place in the middle of some swamp somewhere, where we find ourselves.

We can do better. And I am lately trying to determine to what degree I can commit to being a part of the much needed "purist revival" (as I think of it), that our nation so desperately thirsts for.

But I gotta say that I doubt there is much 'Classic Liberal' in my political identity, as I understand the label. I find myself identifying with the writings of each one of the founding fathers of our nation I quoted. I am a Purist. Fitting within the strict and lamentable confines of either of our two modern political parties is something I am proud to say I don't bother with. (but since I vote Republican almost always, I imagine that speaks loudly to my leanings and belief structure).

Thanks for commenting, Tracy!

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home