Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Potty Poker

I've solved a bit of an ongoing mystery at Casa Lachen. Without benefit of the Mystery Machine or even a box of Scooby snacks.

In the last few weeks, I had been misplacing Copper. It was not that I'd just set him down and forgetten where I'd left my dear, sweet husband, like a lost TV remote. But rather that he seemed to be disappearing for random 30-45 minute intervals of time. Unexpectedly, and under the radar. I would turn around and he'd be gone.


Odd.

Yes, I considered the obvious possibilities. But I concluded that my Family Room is nowhere near the Bermuda Triangle and that Hermoine Granger's time turner must only work inside the confines of the Rowling-inspired wizarding world.

This past Saturday, after two such disappearing episodes, I decided to deliberately avoid becoming distracted by my mothering/household duties and to actually SEARCH for said lost husband the next time I noticed his conspicuously long absence. Novel concept, I realize.

At 4:00 pm, the opportunity presented itself. After coming in from the garden and being unable to locate Copper with a visual scan at the door, I gathered JoyBoy and LaLa and popped a Jay-Jay-The-Jet-Plane video into the DVD to occupy them (because this could take awhile) and picked up a cold Dr. Pepper out of the fridge (because this could take awhile and just because).

I began upstairs and searched our house thoroughly. I found a pair of earrings I thought I'd lost forever, and a ripe banana dressed in doll clothes in LaLa room's, but no Copper. As I descended the stairs, I cracked open my Dr. Pepper and had barely made a dent in it when I found him.


In the bathroom.

Sitting on the toilet.

But not actually USING the toilet, at least not in the traditionally accepted, conventional manner.

Rather, he was nonchalantly lounging on the potty with his pants around his ankles and his laptop in his lap, playing online poker at PartyPoker.com.


I love this man.

But the jig is finally up. Fred, Daphne and the gang would have been proud. Generally, potty distractions come in the form of reading material (AKA magazines and books that amply stock our bathrooms). But those archaic forms of bathroom entertainment are just not working for my sassy husband these days, it seems. Yes, my beloved Copper has apparently been engaging in our shared passion for poker in a rather oddball way. His unique style of online Texas Hold'Em play is now fondly known at our house as POTTY POKER.



8 Comments:

Blogger MommaRia said...

ROFLOL...it is universal...on 2 levels. My husband pulled a disappearing act on Sunday after church that had ME frantically searching the neighborhood. Apparently he had NEVER EVEN ENTERED the house, but I mentally saw him enter and head for the potty (a place he ALSO hangs out with his laptop!).

Men.

Mine, by the way, was next door talking to the neighbors. I have a 1200 sq foot house (approx) and to lose a 6 foot tall man in that small a space is unnerving.

4:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, It's Pat. Sorry for the anonymous at the top there. That is so funny and familiar! I've suspected this as well with J, although he actually makes an announcement of where he's going and then, oh i dunno, an hour later perhaps, he appears refreshed. It's come down to my accusing him of abandonment LOL!

7:51 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Ok - first, Im LMAO at the ripe bannana in doll's clothes. That's a new one & very cute. Gotta love our girls.

And our husbands too - WTG Scooby!

9:54 AM  
Blogger MommaRia said...

oh, thanks for reminding me nessa....girl, buy that child a dolly would you. Talk about child neglect! Sheeesh. *wink*

11:44 AM  
Blogger Hero said...

Am I the only one skeeved out by the use of the laptop in the bathroom?

4:33 PM  
Blogger Coccobello said...

very funny. Mine sneaks out to smoke cigars.

5:57 PM  
Blogger lachen said...

Hero, yeah, that would be NO. I used Lysol liberally on all laptop-to-bathroom surfaces. :) It was a strange combination for me too. But it makes total sense. If we had a TV and a fridge in the bathroom, too, I think I would see my dear Copper about every leap year.

1:44 AM  
Blogger ~ cyndyann ~ said...

LMAO! First, the banana dressed in dolly clothes cracked me up. Then the pants around the ankle husband playing polka on the toilet nearly made met pee my pants! My dh hasn't tried that one yet, but if given the idea, I'm sure he'd bite... HUGS

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home