Monday, August 29, 2005

Swamped

As Hurricane Katrina batters and tears at our Gulf coast, I ask each of us to join one another in asking for God's hand of divine protection on the families and lives wrenched by this ferocious and devastating storm.

For reasons that are amorphous and not easily explained in finite terms, my own heart feels as bitterly swamped as I imagine the historic, beaucolic streets of New Orleans to be right now. Not only due to confronting of the reality of this hurricane, whose physical impact so harmonizes with the condition of my own spirit at this very moment, but for the smattering of horrific news that greeted me this morning:

Texas pastor and 4 others shot and killed at a rural church
Jewish Family's Home Defaced with Swastika's

We live in such a world of despondency. Of tragedy. Of hate and misunderstanding. Of lost souls and hopelessness. Satan is having a field day.

Without Jesus, how does anyone find the strength to bear it? Honestly, I cannot imagine how we could continue to hope in the midst of the storms without being able to take shelter from them under the wings of the Creator of the Heavens and the Earth who loves us and can heal the pain of our lives and hearts. I am forever grateful that He knows my name. I can't wait for the moment when His Kingdom comes on earth as it is in heaven. For when the rocks cry out and sing, when heaven's bounty opens and I am, by GRACE, allowed to taste of it and be HOME at last. I can only imagine.

For that ultimate, unearned, incomprehensibly awesome gift, I am honored to struggle, to hurt, to fight to keep my head above water amidst the violence, the death, the hatred, the purposelessness, the anger, and the wickedness. Because I know what it is to be loved. To know that there is something more, something that of substance in a world of the superfluous, something that eclipses the bleak present with the blessings of eternity. Praise God. It is at times like this moment in my life, when my energy reserves have been utterly tapped, my soul deeply weary, my body rebelling, and my spirit is so burdened, that I feel the reality of His promise that I am a sheep amidst the wolves.

I take comfort from knowing that my shepherd will not leave me out here alone. He is my reason to hope.

For now, Lord, thank you for giving me my daily bread and please teach me rejoice and be glad in it. Adversity is a promise. Deliverance is a gift. Please rescue my heart from the deep well of exhaustion, frustration, and torment that so threatens to swamp my soul today and drown out your message of love and peace.

Thank you. Amen.

3 Comments:

Blogger Coccobello said...

Amen!

7:17 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

I have been praying with you - Amen.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Kristen OQ said...

We just talked to Kevin's aunt and uncle that live in New Orleans. They have taken shelter in Baton Rouge with some of our other family, but they are fairly certain that they have lost everything. It is so sad to think about such a wonderfully fun, historic, and beautiful city in ruins.

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home