Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Right Up There with Midget Tossing

Lest anyone think I am becoming paranoid to the point of losing my marbles altogether with respect to this topic, I offer newly penned support of my continued notation of this ugly, virulent trend in modern America, particularly within the realms of the press and politics: AVID CHRISTIAN BASHING. It's almost a sport these days. It is, in fact, becoming so overtly dominant that I would not be too surprised to see it proposed as a potential new Olympic event for the 2008 Games. Right up there with midget tossing, donkey shaving, fire eating, and other ill-conceived and thankfully rejected potential Olympic event ideas.

It seems, at least in the minds and evidenced in the writings of an increasing number of mainstream journalists and politicians, that the loudly lauded concept of "tolerance" clearly does not apply to Christianity, at least when lived publicly and without apology. We are labeled "jihadists", "scary", "frightening reconstructionists", "crackpot theocratics". "the radical right" ~ name your inflammatory, chillingly inaccurate adjective ~ and chances are, you'll find it heralded in black and white and attributed to any number of supposed credible journalists, aimed squarely at me and others who share my faith, morals, Jesus, or ideals.

Nonsense, I say (...have said before and will say again till it satisfyingly reverberates off the hills ~ I hear those deep sighs out there...). America was founded on Godly principles, by Godly people, and by borrowing Godly precepts, our laws and society were crafted and established. The so-called American reconstruction movement is not underway by people of faith. Rather, the exact converse is true: those of us who realize America is straying perilously far from her foundation, backbone, intentions, and historical heart are standing in the gap of the rolling tide of attempted revisionism at the hands of overzealous secularists. Whose response is to call attention away from their efforts by labeling us 'jihadists', grouping faithful Christians with the crazed foreign wackos who rammed planes into American buildings, and hope this buys them enough time to erode enough of our foundation that it crumbles altogether. So that they can re-establish America with THEIR vision, by force: continuing to assert their right to change history and re-shape the nation by imposing the whims of the minority over the will of the majority.

I quote,

"In the long journey from the matchless moment when I became "born again" and encountered the risen and living Christ, I have met hundreds of evangelicals and a good many practicing Catholics and have found them to be of reasonable temperament, often enough of impressive accomplishment, certainly not a menace to the republic, unless, of course, the very fact of faith seriously held is thought to make them just that. It is said, again and again and again, that the evangelical/Catholic right is out of accord with the history of our republic, dangerously so. What we are out of accord with is not that history but a revisionist version of it vigorously promulgated by those who want it to be seen as other than it was.

Evangelicals are concerned about the frequently advanced and historically untenable secularists' view of the intent of our non-establishment/free exercise of religion clause: that everything that has its origin in religion must be swept out of federal, and even civil, domains. That view, if militantly enforced, constitutes what seems dangerous to most evangelicals: the strict and entire separation of God from state. This construct, so desired by some, is radically out of sync with much in American history that shows a true regard for the non-establishment of religion while giving space in nearly all contexts to wide and free expressions of faith.


The fact is that our founders did not give us a nation frightened by the apparition of the Deity lurking about in our most central places. On Sept. 25, 1789, the text of what was later adopted as the First Amendment was passed by both houses of Congress, and subsequently sent to the states for ratification. On that same day , the gentlemen in the House who had acted to give us that invaluable text took another action: They passed a resolution asking President George Washington to declare a national day of thanksgiving to no less a perceived eminence than almighty God.

That's president , that's national, that's official and, alas, my doubting hearties, it's God -- all wrapped up in a federal action by those who knew what they meant by the non-establishment clause and saw their request as standing at not the slightest variance from it. It's a pity our phalanx of columnists cannot crawl into a time machine to go back and reinstruct them."


If our tolerance for this kind of evil Christian bashing is anything above ZERO, we must search our hearts and figure out why this degree of attack on this particular religion is acceptable when it is clearly NOT acceptable when applied to other groups of people. Simply replace "Christians" with "Jews" or "African-Americans" or "homosexuals" as the subject being vilified by these writers, and suddenly what is tolerated so readily about people who love Jesus becomes so clearly deeply offensive, inexcusable, bigoted hatred. Let me ask, then, why not that same sense of clarity and anger when American Christians are being targeted and skewered? Why are we grading discriminatory 'bashing' on a sliding scale? This is wrong. It defies justification or excuse, and it should not be tolerated. By any of us, Christian and non-Christian, Democrat and Republican. If you are a human American citizen, this kind of attack on the freedom of religion of Christians in American should anger, repulse, and alarm you.

And yet, this disgusting nonsense gets a pass, time and time again. Even from even those of us who are apparently now walking around with big black and white targets painted on our backsides because of the cross we willingly carry for the Lord we love above all else.

I guess we could just go with it, perhaps. It would certainly make for innovative combinations of events for the 2008 games. Coming soon to an Olympic stadium near you: the illustrious new sports of Christian Tossing and Midget Bashing? Any takers?


2 Comments:

Blogger lachen said...

Ah yes... the Taliban. I forgot that one. Thanks for reminding me. Yet another putrid label which beautifully illustrates my point.

In efforts of clarity, "Godly" as I use it with Biblical reference, describes the condition of one's soul when God dwells within. It is a transformation which is always in progress, as a living, breathing, utmost desire to reflect the reality of God in every facet of life. It is an identity, an endeavor, a pursuit, a defining characteristic. "Godly" describes those who have given voluntary control over their lives in word and spirit to God, and by whose grace are saved from the penalty of their sin nature. Godly does not preclude sin, which still manages by human nature to manifest itself in all kinds ways. Godly does not mean perfect. It means seeking to emulate the perfection only found in God, sheltered from eternal penance of sin by the Cross.

Our American founders were a Godly people. They openly and undeniably acknowledged God and borrowed much of their wisdom, direction, and ethical foundation from Biblical teachings. The reality of God and Judeo-Christian derivatives were heavily and undeniably a part of everyday life, as evidenced by the writings, speech, actions, and contributions of the founders of our nation.

Imperfect? Sure.

Godly? Without a doubt..

God is absolute, as were these resolute, wise men who worked together to form a "more perfect Union" which is our nation. Deliberately leaving room for other influences, they clearly established a solidly strong backbone on Godly tenets, designed to withstand intact the pummeling of conflicting visions for our United States of America that time would bring.

Never have I suggested that America is a Christian country. It cannot by definition be. Christianity is a condition of the soul caused by a response of the heart to a gift of the Savior. It cannot be used to define a geographically bound set of states.

HOWEVER, I would argue that America IS very potentially a Christian nation (collective of people), in history and truth, founded on Reformation Judeo-Christian tenets, principles and derived in whole from direct Biblical teachings.

(good support source with historical synopsis, harmonizing with my assertion:)
http://www.forerunner.com/forerunner/X0127_A_Christian_Nation.html)

In recent decades, as the pendulum of societal whimsy swings in greater arcs, our TRUE and ACCURATE historical roots have undergone quite an effective whitewash treatment. God and Christianity, absolute moral, legal & historical foundations ~ almost every pillar which defines and supports the infrastructure of this country has been challenged.

Now, challenges on the journey toward open accountability are good, worthy efforts when a purely altruistic, selfless motive fuels the effort. That is NOT the case here.

Rather, these attacks seem a deliberately crafted plan to undermine and amend the USA to a supposedly "more enlightened" (thereby inherently devoid of God and Christianity as central elements - relegated to peripheral burdens at best) vision. The hope is, I glean, that once we enter a state of uneducated confusion about who we WERE historically and ARE by deliberate design and inheritance, we are less equipped to negate with any authority the rampant revisionist agenda of the radical re-interpretation of America.

This would be ideal for slippery, cunning secular humanism, say, or a new-age minority who seek to redefine and re-establish our country with their agenda at the helm, forsaking all others. Openly berating Christianity and seeking to isolate Christians from "mainstream society" as perpetual scapegoats and aligned with the very worst imagery possible is an integral part of this maneuver.

It's obviously underway. My hope is that by continuing to shine light on this Christian-bashing nonsense, more and more hearts and minds will be impacted to stand against it. No reason, no manner of thinking, no political agenda, no excuse justifies blanketly vilifying Christians or advocating the forcible “removal” of God, Christ, and Biblically derived truth from their historically accurate place in the formation of our nation and thus, our modern day American life, society, laws, and accepted culture.

American Christians like myself (most of us forever laboring under grossly offensive, simplistically inaccurate uber-labels like "religious right" or "modern-day Christian extremists") seek to live with integrity. We seek to live with honor and stewardship to our historical national roots and fundamental founding truths of who we are. We seek to live as Americans AND as Christians without being required to deny one in order to be the other. We seek to love one another in the name of Christ - openly, warmly, honestly, and without reservation. As a people and as a nation, we seek to live our lives as Christians in harmony with our American inheritance.

Unfortunately, our ability to live peaceably within this nation is under fire by those who'd rather we just went away, deny truths, want everything to be relative, and believe us judgmental Christian yahoos to be stubbornly standing in the way of the all-important pursuit of “progress” (ya see that big CLIFF up ahead, guys?), and want to deny Christians a rightful place in any facet of the newly enlightened version of American life.

I sense the gravity of the situation at hand here on a daily basis. For me, it is as palpable as the pollen swirling in the swollen Spring air.

There is a very real battle raging in this country. I feel it, I experience it, I know it, I live it. Somewhere in the thick of it I always seem to find myself, though I entertain fleeting thoughts of hiding out in the bushes for the next few decades or so. I get tired of the fight, don't particularly adore living in conflict or in constant state of deflecting others' unwarranted target practice on my behind. But I love my Lord, Jesus, my freedom, my nation, and my family too much to give up and surrender all that has meaning to me in order to buy a few brief, hollow moments of false peace. Yeah, no thanks. My integrity and the future of America for my children is at stake. My participation is not optional.

Increasing numbers of everyday American Christians, like me, are quietly developing deep resolve, choosing to make strong stands against angry attacks perpetrated upon them, and against trends toward eradication of God and Christianity from our society.

Like a great many other American Christians, I will not go quietly into that good night.

12:01 AM  
Blogger lachen said...

Paranoid, thy name is Lachen? :)

I can see the wisdom in your thoughts. Though, I do think that the assertion of a "falsely whipped frenzy" may be derived from a political view of religion, rather than religious view of politics?

Politicians have FAR LESS impact on my life than God does. It is only when I see my own and others' religious freedoms under attack in an increasingly concerted national effort that I get fiery angry and resolved to take on those firing the cannons - in this case, laws and the politics fueling them (but not limited only therto).

So, I guess I am saying that while I can see that some goodhearted Christians may fall into the 'deluded by ardent politics' category you describe, I do not.

My dominant identity is as a Christian. Thus, everything in my life - politics included - is filtered through the stringent Biblical truth according to God as understood by me. I view politics under the shadow of the Cross, not the church under the blanket of political influence.

I also happen to be a Republican, usually (I did vote for Perot at one point, let's not forget), but cast my votes by individual issue, according to the harmonization of my heart and mind. Both of those dwell in Christ, so my voting is a necessary reflection of my desire to align my life and actions with His word.

I cannot be convinced that there is Biblical support for such currently dominant American socio-political issues as abortion-on-demand-rights and gay marriage, because there IS NOT. Clearly, inarguably: no way. That in mind, whomever and whatever political party is more closely aligned with Biblical truth, by the individual issue, gets my vote and reasoned loyalty.

The positions of the GOP have historically been, over my limited voting lifetime, more closely aligned with my heart and mind than those heralded by the Democratic Party. I find Biblical truths to be far more prevalent in the GOP than in any other political party out there, acknowledging the flaws in both parties and the system as a whole.

However, it is quite a ridiculous stretch to assert that God is a Republican. Everyone knows He is an Independent. :)

I do acknowledge evidence of what you're talking about with respect to 'tent revival' politics of sorts. However, it is far too dismissive a notion to conclude that my, or any other heartled, intelligent Christian's position is based on an emotional response to a carefully crafted political conspiracy theory rather than our own examinations of the trends and events occuring over time, leading to reasoned conclusions. And, by natural extension, speech and actions in accordance with those conclusions. As I become alarmed at the social relativism and secularism taking hold and targeting my right to express my love for Christ in everyday life, or influence and educate my children by force AGAINST the teachings of our religion, I get ANGRY and begin to seek other like minded voices to add flavor and a strength-in-numbers factor to my own. It is in these scouting expeditions that I find such invaluable resources as the Thomas Moore Law Center and others I often quote and find solace in. I go looking for others who are noticing the same things I already am so that I can sharpen and hone my understandings of issues by those who are on the same path.

On this particular intellectual highway (as with most others in my life), it is far to say that I do not hop on bandwagons but instead am out there flagging people down to join my own.

Paranoia, as I understand it, is based on the notion of an irrational reaction to a nonexistent catalyst. But MamaQ: the events, speech, laws, trends, politics, religions, and people involved here are real, not made-up or infalted. My response to them may contain candid fiery emotion at times, and it certainly may be out of step with yours or other Christians/Catholics/Prostestants, but it is raeaonably derived, intellectually sound, above all: mine alone, not fueled by the invisible man behind the curtain.

Who, by the way, would definitely have voted Republican.

(I'll take the tongue out of my cheek now). :)

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home